Good nutrition is so important for your training. If you're training jiu jitsu several times per week, plus strength training, what you eat makes a big difference. I've already written extensively about key nutrition concepts to follow if you practice jiu jitsu and strength train. I won't bore you with the details again.
This post will give you my favourite kale juice recipe. Something I've tweaked several times over the past 3 years. Something I drink as part of my breakfast 95% of the time. Add this to your morning routine and you'll feel the difference. In how you feel when training jiu jitsu, your day to day life and when strength training.
- 1 handful of raw kale (because its kale and we all know kale is awesome!)
- 1/2 a raw beetroot (again full of nutrients, high in nitrates that may contribute to endurance)
- Handful of frozen (much cheaper) mixed berries (berries are higher in antioxidants and lower in sugar than other fruits)
- Small handful of raw almonds (good for fats, protein, vitamin E and magnesium)
- Tablespoon of chia seeds and tablespoon of flaxseeds (again very nutritious as well as providing omega 3, balancing out the omega 6 from almonds)
- Tablespoon of equal parts powdered; tumeric, cayenne, garlic, ginger, cumin (I call this my curry shot, put together to help fight inflammation in the body)
- Tablespoon of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar (I use this to help with gut health and digestion)
- 1/2 or 1 banana. For breakfast, unless you've just worked out, I'd recommend avoiding the banana to reduce the amount of sugar in the breakfast so as not to spike your insulin levels early in the day. Carb timing for after your training can be a great way to manage your weight.
- Dump all ingredients in a blender, add water, blend, drink! The 'curry shot' and cider vinegar doesn't taste as bad as you might think. I used to drink them separately, although couldn't be bothered with the extra hassle.
What blender do I use?
I make no money of this, I use the Nutribullet. For how well it blends, how easy it is to clean, how easily you can prep the juice the night before then blend in the morning. For the relative price, this is my number 1 choice. I use mine every day, usually twice per day and the last one I had lasted nearly two years. Not bad for $80.
Give it a go and post your pictures on Instagram tagging @BJJStrength